How To Get Rid Of Ants On Your Hot Springs Property
September 17, 2021 - Ants
Ask any resident of the Southeastern United States if they’ve ever had an issue with ants, and the answer will more than likely be a resounding “yes”. Just like us, these pesky critters like food and shelter, so it’s no wonder they wind up on the uninvited guest list. When checking out how to get rid of ants on your Hot Springs property, identifying the perpetrators is a good way to start. There are hundreds of types of ants found throughout the U.S., but only a handful can be commonly found in the central Arkansas region.
Types Of Ants Found In Hot Springs, Arkansas
Here are the ants common to the Arkansas area:
- Argentine Ants - This invasive species comes from South American countries but has now found shelter in many parts of the world. These ants are brown in color. Anyone who squishes one of these bugs can notice a musty odor.
- Carpenter Ants - Found in combinations and solid colors of red, brown, and black, this pest packs a painful punch. They can use their mighty chompers to bite and can also inject formic acid into victims. Properties can also be damaged by their unique ability to burrow through wood.
- Fire Ants - This invasive species is one to watch out for in Arkansas. These reddish-brown ants sting anyone who disturbs their nests, and these painful stings can leave welts.
- Little Black Ants - These ants may be the epitome of ruining that fun summer picnic. Picture a trail of them invading a freshly laid out red and white checkered cloth. These guys are dark in color and can be found in large numbers.
- Odorous House Ants - Brown or black in color, these pests are attracted to water sources and sweet substances like fruit and honey. When crushed, these ants emit a foul odor.
DIY Methods To Eliminate Ant Infestations
Check out a home improvement store, and there could be dozens of options for how to get rid of ants on your Hot Springs property, but virtually none of them can lead to safe, effective removal of the entire colony that lasts. When homeowners try to tackle such a massive project, they don’t have access to tools and resources that work, they may not have all the facts needed to determine the best course of action, they could waste money on useless potions, they are treating only visible ants, and can unknowingly put themselves in harm’s way.
Keeping Ants Away From Your Hot Springs Property
With most pests, the best offense is a good defense. Here are some tried and true tips that will help keep ants out of your Hot Springs home:
- Seal It Up: Close any gaps where these tiny pests can get in; caulk can be a homeowner’s best friend.
- Divert Water: Ants need a water source. If there are no drips or leaks from your home, they will likely find this space inhospitable.
- Pick Up, Clean Up: Don’t attract these nasty pests with even one morsel. Keep food sealed well. Vigilantly sweep, mop, and vacuum after wiping down counters and emptying the sink.
- Maintain The Lawn: Eliminate any yard debris, maintain shrubs, use a cedar mulch if possible, and keep the lawn trimmed.
Advanced Pest Control Is The Permanent Solution To Your Ant Problem
Advanced Pest Control is a team that takes care of unwanted ants and pests on your Hot Springs property. Our qualified professionals have the experience and knowledge to diagnose any ant problems through comprehensive inspections. Then, they implement targeted strategies to keep ants away. With follow-up visits, the ants are sent packing for good. Contact Advanced Pest Control today to learn how we can help with our home pest control and commercial pest management solutions!